Welcome to the weekend, everybody. Heres the latest news for your reading enjoyment:
- QOTD: I have over 100 hotel room keys and they remind me of the different places I have been . . . #SWFLIFE
- The End is Nigh I: With oil prices low, people everywhere are freaking out that sovereign funds might be asked to sell some of their assets to fill gaps in sponsors budgets. Chill out. Consider what the financial markets would be doing if governments had no sovereign funds they could call on to fill the gap. What if all these countries were slashing spending and showing up at the IMFs door? What then?
- The End is Nigh II: This is what long-term investors should do in a crisis . . . Not much.
- High on Tech: GIC is in Square. Qatar is in Uber. AIMCo is in Bloom. Khazanah is in Palantir. Now its Kuwaits turn to invest in in . . . Jawbone.
- State Wealth: The people of Alaska have noted with some concern that when financial markets go down, so does the value of their SWF.
- Alpha Hunting I: Malaysias Khazanah has opened a new London office to go along with its other offices in Beijing, Mumbai, San Francisco and Istanbul. Thats an interesting mix of locations.
- Alpha Hunting II: Rather than setting up yet another overseas office in Europe, Temasek opts instead for a panel of super-connectors to bring EU deal flow.
- Exasperation: After explaining to the New York Times what its been like dealing with the rampant gender inequality in private equity for her entire career, WSIBs CEO Theresa Whitmarsh . . . Stares out a window. Sighs.
Have a great weekend!