Mizuho Financial Group, Nidec Corp. Among Big Winners on 2016 All-Japan Executive Team
Three companies sweep their sectors — capturing first place in every category in which they are eligible to compete — on the 2016 All-Japan Executive Team, Institutional Investor’s exclusive annual ranking of the nation’s corporate leaders as seen through the eyes of investment professionals:
• Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, a multinational engineering and electronics outfit, is No. 1 in Plant Engineering & Shipbuilding.
• Mizuho Financial Group, the nation’s second-largest financial services firm (in terms of holdings), outperforms its peers in Banks.
• Nidec Corp., a manufacturer of electric motors for appliances, computers and other devices, tops the roster in Electronics/Components.
This is the third year in a row that Nidec has secured first place in every category, a feat that no other company has managed to accomplish.
II asks portfolio managers and sell-side analysts to name the best CEOs, CFOs and investor relations professionals at the Japanese companies they cover, and to evaluate these businesses on several corporate governance attributes, including making board members and senior executives accessible, responding quickly and thoroughly to requests, providing timely and accurate disclosure of essential financial information and so on. Responses to these questions are aggregated to produce an overall rank for each company.
The overall positions in each of the four categories — Best CEO, Best CFO, Best IR Professional and Best IR Company — are based on combined buy- and sell-side votes.
Other companies that finish in the top three in every category (and the sector in which they rank) are:
• Asahi Group Holdings (Beverages, Food & Tobacco)
• Astellas Pharma (Health Care & Pharmaceuticals)
• Daiwa House Industry Co. Construction)
• Dentsu (Broadcasting)
• Komatsu (Machinery)
• Mitsubishi Corp. (Trading Companies)
• Mitsubishi Electric Corp. (Electronics/Industrial)
• Mitsui Chemicals (Chemicals)
• Murata Manufacturing Co. (Electronics/Components)
• Nissan Motor Co. (Autos)
• Rakuten (Internet)
• Sony Corp. (Electronics/Consumer)
• Tokio Marine Holdings (Insurance & Other Nonbank Financials)
• Yamato Holdings Co. (Transportation)
The 2016 All-Japan Executive Team reflects the opinions of 515 investment professionals at 205 financial services firms. Respondents from the buy side work at institutions that collectively manage an estimated $586 billion in Japanese equities. Executives are cited at the companies and in the positions they held on February 12, 2016, when polling concluded.
Click on the Honored Companies link in the navigation table at right to view the most highly regarded outfits in each of the survey’s 25 sectors, ranked by each entity’s total weighted score (each first-place position is worth three points; second place, two; and third place, one). Names that are highlighted in orange have warranted recognition as a Most Honored Company, a designation awarded to those that earn two or more top-three appearances. In the accompanying table Most Honored Companies are listed above Honored Companies regardless of score.
For information on how this ranking was compiled, click on Methodology.